Allow me to extoll the virtues of one of the most fun, rambunctious, hippo-themed drinking games of all time: Thirsty Thirsty Hippos!No it's not Hungry Hungry Hippos with drinking penalties (although that would be awesome and should be seriously considered.) Rather, it's fast-action beer pong on steroids.
- Four small tables of roughly equal height. Living room end tables or elementary school desks are the ideal size.
- Three ping pong balls.
- Lots of plastic cups and cheap, drinkable beer.
- A large open space. Basements, rec rooms, and grassy meadows work well for this game.
- Arrange the tables in a square, approximately 6-10 feet apart. If there are only two small tables, you can use a standard folding table as one side of the square.
- On each table, place six cups in a standard beer pong triangle formation. Fill 'em up.
- Try to remove all breakable items from the immediate vicinity of the arena. Things tend to get a little rowdy.
- One player stands behind each table. They stay in the game until all their cups are sunk.
- Players shoot at the cups of any of the other three players. If you sink a cup, that player has to drink. You must shoot from behind your table.
- Balls are live unless they are in a cup, in a hand, or heading towards a cup. Miss a shot? Chase after it. See someone carelessly set a ball on their table. Snatch it away from them! Ball on the ground? Body check an opponent out of the way and dive for it!
- If your cup is sunk, you have to drink it all before you can chase after or shoot any balls.
- Normal beer pong rules apply. No swatting before a bounce. Bounce-in = two cups. Double-sunk cup = immediate loss. A spilled cup is a drunk cup.
- Mandatory re-rack at 4 cups.
- If you sink a player's last cup, they lose. Play pauses as a new contender takes their place. For sinking the last cup, you get three bonus cups added to your rack.
- If you have possession of all three balls, you can only hold them for 90 seconds before a delay of game is called and you forfeit the balls to the other three players.
- Try not to seriously injure anyone. Minor injuries are fine.
Hope we get a chance to try it out some time! It's a blast!